Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Alberto house in Biñan


Alberto - Alonzo House, originally uploaded by Arnaldos' shutter.

In a recent visit to the Alberto house in Biñan. I was awed by its beauty but at the same time regret its present condition. This classic stone house displayed the prominence and style of the family that once lived here. You could feel by observing the house that the occupants are no ordinary Filipinos add to this is the location of the house which is right at the heart of the Biñan, on its left is the municipio and in front is the rotonda.

With its solid built utilizing the most durable construction materials that I'm certain only a rich builder can afford during those days, its no wonder that this house has stood the test of time. Its unfortunate that no matter how strong a house is built it would eventually, if not well preserve succumb to deterioration. This house has seen its better days. Below is a brief history of the owner of this wonderful 'bahay na bato'
Jose Alberto an uncle of Rizal, had been educated in British India, spending eleven years in a Calcutta missionary school. This was the result of an acquaintance which his father had made with an English naval officer who visited the Philippines about 1820, the author of "An Englishman's Visit to the Philippines." Lorenzo Alberto, the grandfather, himself spoke English and had English associations.

The great Binan bridge had been built under Lorenzo Alberto's supervision, and for services to the Spanish nation during the expedition to Cochin-China-probably liberal contributions of money-he had been granted the title of Knight of the Order of Isabel the Catholic, but by the time this recognition reached him he had died, and the patent was made out to his son.

An episode well known in the village-its chief event, if one might judge from the conversation of the inhabitants-was a visit which a governor of Hongkong had made there when he was a guest in the home of Alberto. Many were the tales told of this distinguished Englishman, who was Sir John Bowring, the notable polyglot and translator into English of poetry in practically every one of the dialects of Europe. His achievements along this line had put him second or third among the linguists of the century. He was also interested in history, and mentioned in his Binan visit that the Hakluyt Society, of which he was a Director, was then preparing to publish an exceedingly interesting account of the early Philippines that did more justice to its inhabitants than the regular Spanish historians. Here Rizal first heard of Morga, the historian, whose book he in after years made accessible to his countrymen. A desire to know other languages than his own also possessed him and he was eager to rival the achievements of Sir John Bowring.

In his book entitled "A Visit to the Philippine Islands," which was translated into Spanish by Mr. Jose del Pan, a liberal editor of Manila, Sir John Bowring gives the following account of his visit to Rizal's uncle:

"We reached Binan before sunset .... First we passed between files of youths, then of maidens; and through a triumphal arch we reached the handsome dwelling of a rich mestizo, whom we found decorated with a Spanish order, which had been granted to his father before him. He spoke English, having been educated at Calcutta, and his house-a very large one-gave abundant evidence that he had not studied in vain the arts of domestic civilization. The furniture, the beds, the table, the cookery, were all in good taste, and the obvious sincerity of the kind reception added to its agreeableness. Great crowds were gathered together in the square which fronts the house of Don Jose Alberto."

Being a Rizalist (not the religion but one who studies the man!) I consider this - a pilgrimage of sorts, my mind was focused on how Rizal lived his youth in this busy town, so close to us here in the south metro yet unknown to many, how in some way or the other it shaped his character and strengthen his resolve. In almost all areas of the town I found reminders of its inspiring past. Such lovely old houses, I don't mind spending the whole afternoon feasting my eyes on this gems of the past.



I consider myself fortunate that in my time I've visited this historic place I've noticed that not too many people are aware of its role in our political evolution - I've actually spoked withs several Biñanero's and found out that either they were not told about the significance of the house or they were just disinterested. Such is an example that I hope with all my faith would change amongst us, we need to value such monuments of time for it physically links us to our past.

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting story about the Rizals. I've learned about the relationship of the Albertos and Rizals from Prof. Ambeth Ocampo.

    I wanted to see the Alberto House myself. Will you be kind enough to tell me on how to get there? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing your from QC - head to south, exit on Southwoods. Pass tollgate go left proceed to the arch. You won't be far away. Ask people where the municipio is and there you'll see the Alberto-Alonso house right beside it.

    If your still unsure PM me and I'll give you my contacts or that of a friend who resides in San Pedro to help you find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day! I'm an Interior Design student from Assumption College, Makati. I'm currently taking a subject called Restoration and Renovation and I have chosen to work on the Alberto House in Binan. I went to NHI to trace the floor plan already. Problem now is, I have to interview people who are related to the owner of the house to get some background on the house. Would you know who I should talk to? It would be a big help to me. Thanks in advanced! God Bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pax! I just want to know who was the wife and children of Jose Alberto Alonso. Can you name them for me? On the first picture, there were several portaits of ladies in big picture frames, who are they? Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ral - The gentleman was Don Jose Alberto [adorned by the "Knight of the Order of Isabel the Catholic" pendant], the rest are probably his daughters & sisters, I can't be certain but I remember that the portraits had names on it, I don't even know if one of those female portraits belongs to Teodora, Jose Alberto's half sister, Rizal mother. i remember seeing the signature of the painter, he tagged his pieces with ," ex discípulo de Luna" - which was kinda odd.

    ReplyDelete